Monday, February 27, 2012

Chapter 2

"Mummy!" Janice cried in excitement as Charline came. Charline gave her daughter a big huge. She had not seen Janice for two weeks as she went abroad for her final job assignment for '360'.
"I miss you, darling!" Charline held Janice in her arms tightly.
From behind, she saw Terry's parents coming out too. "Ma, Daddy...". After their divorce, Charline still addressed them as mother-father. They are her second family members beside her own parents.
"Charline, how you're doing these days?" Ma held out her arms to hug Charline. "Ma, I missed you too!" Charline said, feeling tears flowing from her eyes. "And you, Daddy!" Charline gave Daddy a huge.
"Come inside Charline! I made something for the four of us..." Ma asked Charline to come in.

"Ma, Daddy, I won't be working at '360' anymore. Starting next week, I'll be working at 'Today's Living'". Charline told Ma and Daddy about changing her work place. Charline felt that they should know about what she is really doing in her life. After all, they are her second family.
"'Today's Living'? The controversial magazine? Charline, are you sure?" Daddy's expression turned serious when he heard the name of the magazine.
"Daddy, the magazine's not controversial, it's the topics that are controversial" Charline explained. She does not want the public to have any misconception towards 'Today's'.
"Are you sure about it? Well, if you ask me, I think it's a bit risky to work in the general section"
"Daddy, don't worry at all! I'm an experienced journalist. I dealt with many controversial issues back in '360' too." Charline explained. She taught Daddy was not supporting the idea of her changing her job. But it's fine. He cannot do anything now to stop her.
"Charline, it's about time for Janice to attend pre-school. What do you think?" Ma bought up a new topic.
"Right! She's almost four..." this moment Charline was feeling hopeless. She was not giving her attention on Janice's education. Showed that she was a failure, once more.
"Send her to a good pre-school. I believe that's a lot of them her, right? I'll look for some info then"
"Yeah... Discuss with Terry when he come back next week. Both of you decide where to send Janice too..." Ma said. She reminded Charline also, Terry will be coming back from his six-months training at Australia.
"OK. Then wait for Terry to come back and we'll decide together" Charline said. She turned to Janice and asked, "Are you excited to go to school?""
"Yes!" Janice cried.

***


Charline was feeling nervous as she arrived at the office of 'Today's Living'. The magazine's editorial desk was situated on the 16th floor. She stepped out of the elevator, walked towards the office on the left side and saw 'Today's Living' name. Her hands touched the glass door handler. She deliberate for few seconds before opening the door. The receptionist at the counter saw Charline coming in.
"Yes, may I help you?"
"I'm Charline Lew. I'm looking for your editor, Ms. Laura Carlson."

Laura Carlson appeared from inside after a minute.
"Charline! Welcome to 'Today's Living'!" Laura held out her hands to Charline to shake her hands.
"Hi, good to see you again."
"I'll introduce you to the editorial staffs. There's five of us in total, now it's six since you joined" Laura tells Charline while they were walking towards the desk.
"Guys, here's a new addiction to 'Today's", the staffs looked up from their desks. "Here's Charline Lew, the new member in our team"
"Hello, I'm Charline. Nice to meet you. Well... This is my first time working at a social magazine. I heard a lot of 'Today's' since I was still studying journalism. This will be my first time working on the social related issues. I hope that we can work well as a team"
"Charline Lew! I knew you! You did investigative reports on the entertainment scenes. You're the one that exposed the corruption in TV stations and prostitution case" a young men recognize Charline by her name.
"He's Harris. Our intern. Joined last month. He'll be with us until September" Laura introduced.
"Nice to meet you Harris!" Charline said.
"I'm Chris, staff writer and photographer. I read your report on Eric Clauson's case. That was great!"
"Samantha, everyone calls me Sammy. I'm a writer too. Heard a lot of you. I think you're one of the best investigative journalist"
"Tommy. I'm doing layout and design. Photographer too. Nice meeting you"
"I'm flattered by all of you... I'm not the best investigative journalism in this field, really. Just doing my job." Anyway, great to know all of you" Charline does not expect that they gave so much compliments for her.
"I'll show you where's your seat, Charline" Laura lead Charlene to her seat, which was the table next to Sammy and opposite Harris.
"Thanks, Laura"
"Have a great day..." Laura walked away and returns to her room. So does Tommy the layout artist. He has his own room too, next to Laura.
The first day for Charline at 'Today's Living'.

No comments: