Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chapter 1

The last day.

Today is the last day for Charline's at 'Entertainment 360'. She will be leaving the editorial desks to another magazine, not an entertainment magazine, but a social magazine, 'Today's Living'.

After being with the editorial for almost 8 years, Charline felt it was time to swift to a whole new environment. She often told her colleagues at 'Entertainment 360', her decision was merely "just to explore other area of interest", does not related to any personal issues.

On the day Charline hand over her resignation letter to her editor-in-chief and good friend, Sylvia, she was taken aback.
"Charline, are you sure?!" Sylvia using her usual 'editor tone', holding Charline's resignation letter on her right hand.
"Yes. Sylvia. 100% sure" Charline answered firmly.
"OK... Give me a solid reason for leaving. I'm not letting you go that easily..." Sylvia was actually begging Charline to stay. As a editor, she does not show that she compromise directly. Charline knew it well. She has been working with her for 8 years, since she had graduated from university. Sylvia was the Assistant Editor when Charline first joined.
"Sylvia, I want to try out something new. I'd done entertainment investigating reports for 8 years. I gained a lot of experience throughout this period time. I treasure the moments in '360'. But... I just can't stay her until I retire. I always wanted to try new... And 'Today' offered me this job. I can't resist..." Charline explained.
Sylvia's expression turned solemn but serious, "I see... It's true. I can't keep you for 30 years at '360'. It's your choice to go..." Sylvia looking at the letter. She continued, "OK. I'll take it".
"Thanks"
"OK. Step aside the job, how's your life going on?" Sylvia began to start the topic on Charline's personal life.
"I'm... adjusting. He had moved out. And now I'm living alone" Charline explained.

Their conversation lasted for two hours.

***

Charline's personal life was a mess. She and her husband, Terry have divorced after a three years marriage. Both of them realised that they were not suitable to 'be married', better off as friends. What Charline regretted the most was her feeling of regrets towards her daughter, Janice. She had not have the guts to face Janice after her marriage breakdown. Janice was under custody of Terry. Charline only visits her once a week. Charline needs a lot of courage on meeting Janice every week. She does not dare to face Janice because she felt guilty for not giving her the proper family and not doing her best as a mother.

It's Saturday. And Charline is heading to Terry's parents home to visit Janice.
As she drive into the porch, she hears from outside her car Janice's excitement.

No comments: